THE FUTURE‘S SO BRIGHT…..2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE FUTURE‘S SO BRIGHT…..2013-2014

Next year’s team will be a better passing team.

Next year’s team will be a better shooting team.

Next year’s team will be better finishers around the basket.

I’m expecting Joe Raglandesque senior year improvement from Cleanthony Early.

10/15 pounds of muscle will make Nick Wiggins oh so much more effective so he can keep from getting knocked off his shot.

Kadeem will fill the middle. Kadeem will impress.

Jake and Tekele will continue with steady improvement and do whatever Gregg asks. Jake will make a 3.

Ron Baker is the best all around ball player on this team. It will be good to have him for 30+ games.

Likewise, having Evan back on the floor for a full season will be a major plus.

The Fred that showed the last third of the season will provide solid leadership.

Shaq will be fun. Shaq plus Reggie Agbeko would be scary fun.

And the rest, who knows who might blossom out of that group.

Next year’s team will win 25+.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

First, I think NW's strengths are three point shooting and the ability to attack the basket off the dribble. I don't think weight and strength matter a lot with him. Where it DOES matter is with Cle and Jake. If Cle is going to play at PF he has to turn his baby fat into muscle and obtain a PF's mentality/mantality on BOTH ends of the court. We need him at PF more than SF cause we have plenty of depth at SF. Jake has the scrappiness to play PF but also needs to muscle up a little more. I think he could even play some at center with his long arms. I know many doubt his outside shot but I believe he has one and a center that can step out and shoot the three is valuable in sucking out the other teams big man ala Stutz. My two biggest concerns for next year are a quality ball handler to back up Fred against presses and team chemistry. My belief is that with the departure of MA and DW that team chemistry will be much better. They both are very good players but they both tend to dribble and hang on to the ball too long and that just isn't good for offensive chemistry. IF Coleby is as good as everyone is saying I will predict 29-5 thru the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by garylee View Post
      First, I think NW's strengths are three point shooting and the ability to attack the basket off the dribble. I don't think weight and strength matter a lot with him. Where it DOES matter is with Cle and Jake. If Cle is going to play at PF he has to turn his baby fat into muscle and obtain a PF's mentality/mantality on BOTH ends of the court. We need him at PF more than SF cause we have plenty of depth at SF. Jake has the scrappiness to play PF but also needs to muscle up a little more. I think he could even play some at center with his long arms. I know many doubt his outside shot but I believe he has one and a center that can step out and shoot the three is valuable in sucking out the other teams big man ala Stutz. My two biggest concerns for next year are a quality ball handler to back up Fred against presses and team chemistry. My belief is that with the departure of MA and DW that team chemistry will be much better. They both are very good players but they both tend to dribble and hang on to the ball too long and that just isn't good for offensive chemistry. IF Coleby is as good as everyone is saying I will predict 29-5 thru the tournament.
      Disagree about Nick. He really needs to get stronger with the ball. Strength plays a huge role in rebounding and taking the ball to the hole. How many times did he have his shot blocked or have the ball stripped from his hands after coming down with a rebound? Nick needs to hit the weight room hard this off-season.

Comment

Nick and Clee both need weight work.

Comment

We have a consistent history of jucos doing well during their junior seasons and then incredible during their senior years. It will be surprising to me if all three of them, including chadrack because I still mildly believe he can be good, don't hit the plan hard this summer and come back ready. There is something about a senior year that does that for people. Wiggins already knows what he has to do to beat the two guys in front of him. Cle already knows he was the reason for several of our losses. Chadrack knows he never even saw the floor at his old level.

They are either quitters or going to come back awesome. It happens with everyone in Marshall's system.

Well, other than Anacreon :)

Comment

As far as a PG to backup FVV, don't sleep on DJ Bowles. 3G has compared him to FVV but a little bigger. It'll take him a little time to adjust, but I think he'll have more early opportunities to do that than Fred had this year. And while he adjusts, Baker is more than capable of running some PG when needed.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WOW....

On the eve of the biggest day for WSU Basketball 2012-13, we get a topic for what?

Next year? Yea, that's relevant.

Enjoy the moment for those who are playing THIS year.

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Nick and Clee both need weight work.
                And Ri'an, too!
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                  On the eve of the biggest day for WSU Basketball 2012-13, we get a topic for what?

Next year? Yea, that's relevant.

Enjoy the moment for those who are playing THIS year.

That is all.
                  In case you hadn't been paying attention, next year's team was already being discussed on 3 or 4 other threads both in the basketball and recruiting areas. The topic in no way disrespects this year's team or takes away from what they are about to achieve. It is possible to root for this year's team and look to the future at the same time.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I would not be adverse to Jake White transferring. To put it simply, he sticks out like a sore thumb. His feet are slow, he is slow, this team is fast. He can't hit a three to save Princess Peach but yet continues to take them. When he was recruited, this team was in a different place. Jake would be awesome in a UNI uniform. He is the prototype Ben Jacobson player. I just don't feel like he fits the team anymore.
                    He is a great kid, and a good ball player, he just doesn't fit the bill for his position on this team. He could transfer to a mid major and be awesome. I just think Marshall has evolved the offense away from the style that would allow Jake to flourish.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Jake White will be a big part of these next two years of Shocker basketball. Mark it down. He might never start, but he'll be an important sixth man off the bench. Gotta love his rebounding and hustle points.

Comment

Shock, your analysis has so many flaws. First, I'll take a Jacobson. Second, you need to watch the games a little closer. Slow feet or not JW's man seldom scores. You said he continues to shoot threes and that's false. When is the last time he shot one? Even so, most of us know that HE actually is a good 3 point shooter. He lights it up in scrimmages and practice. Once he breaks the slump, like TC, he could break out. What he lacks in speed he makes up for with hustle. Teams need a variety of players. Watch the elite teams in the tournaments. They will have some slow big men too and teams need good garbage men. In addition, JW has been a solid contributor both last year and this year. I think he has been first on the team both years in rebounds PER MINUTE and ranks high in points PER MINUTE. Hustlers like Jake can also have a positive effect on teammates to get them to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                          I would not be adverse to Jake White transferring. To put it simply, he sticks out like a sore thumb. His feet are slow, he is slow, this team is fast. He can't hit a three to save Princess Peach but yet continues to take them. When he was recruited, this team was in a different place. Jake would be awesome in a UNI uniform. He is the prototype Ben Jacobson player. I just don't feel like he fits the team anymore.
                          He is a great kid, and a good ball player, he just doesn't fit the bill for his position on this team. He could transfer to a mid major and be awesome. I just think Marshall has evolved the offense away from the style that would allow Jake to flourish.
                          Nothing personal, shock, but sometimes a "Dislike this post" feature would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Actually, he wouldn't look awesome in a UNI uniform. You have to be able to make 3's consistently at UNI to play there.

Comment

Shock wants to get rid of Jake White but is absolutely clueless regarding who we might be able to bring in with experience.

We are definitely going to need his experience on the front line next year. If we were to lose him, we'd better find a good juco power forward in a hurry. And I'm not talking about Watson, he appears to have some question marks based on comments others have made here.

Comment

Working...
                              X